Saturday, March 26, 2011

A powerful little favorite...

As I mentioned in the post just before this I was at the Museum of Fine Arts today for a lecture on "Inclement Weather in American Painting" given by Katie Pfohl an art history student and one to watch!  She's clearly got a great future ahead of her.  After the talk I went to visit my favorites, and I have a LOT of favorites, but this one strums my heart strings like no other.  It's a little study by Paul Huet called Foret de Compiegne (1830) and it's only about 13 x 17 inches.  I've spent a lot of time in front of this little piece, it's quiet, a peek into the artists' mind as he wanders and paints in this famous forest North of Paris.  Maybe one of these segments will become a larger painting, maybe it's background work for a series, it doesn't matter I just love seeing his process and how complete each little section is the rest I'm content to wonder about.

No comments:

Post a Comment