Saturday, July 16, 2011

Santa Fe...I'm still in love!

Travel sketch #1, watercolor, 9 x 12"

I've been busy having a blast with watercolors from my Santa Fe trip.  Here are some...

Abiquiu Arch,  watercolor, 14 x 20"
One of the things I get thinking about is how solid the sky is, it's a mass of blue, an object a monster chunk of turquoise.  Not like the Northeast which I'm most used to, all our juiciness and proximity to the ocean makes for a much more atmospheric sky. 
Rock Tower-Abiquiu, watercolor, 14 x 20"
The other thing that struck me and hope to work with in future paintings is how the canyon walls and sides of rock towers remind me so much of the stone work of Europes Gothic Cathedrals.  There are striations and rows of things that look like naturally stone carved figures peopling the cliffs. 

Canyon Walls, watercolor, 14 x 20


No comments:

Post a Comment