Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Chesterwood!

Finally had a chance to visit Chesterwood, the Berkshire home and studio of Daniel Chester French.  I learned so much and it's a gorgeous place!  True confession time....I used to go to the Isabella Stewart Gardner home (I think of it as her home more than as a museum) every New Years Day to wander & pray to her that I could have an art patron like her...we (I) need serious art patrons!  I also would treat myself to a super fancy lunch there in the spirit of dining with her while thinking of all the greats that actually did get to dine with her - Anders Zorn, the incomparable John Singer Sargent.  So on my visit to Chesterwood it became my new annual pilgrimage to pray to him for patronage or just about any kind of help.  The grounds are lovely, a nice mix of wild and garden, he clearly had a reverence for nature - something I admire in him as much as his work.

It's mind bending to think about all the work he produced.  Sculpture is no easy thing.  The visit to his studio only made me want to know more about him and how he worked.   I loved that he had railroad tracks made so that he could roll a sculpture out of his studio into natural light to study it further.  As I looked around it popped to mind that he is America's Bernini.

As an artist I'm deeply interested in other artists studios and process. At Chesterwood I took a ton of pictures and here they are...enjoy!


Nice surprise to see this as I walked the paths.  Someone was clearly seized by the urge to create.










I went crazy for all the hand studies!



The study for the Lincoln Memorial, quite possibly the most beautiful, majestic sculpture ever.



The view from his studio!


Honestly, who could ever resist a walk under a flower covered arbor!


No comments:

Post a Comment